Skip to main content

A review of "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World"


Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World: Finding Intimacy with God in the Busyness of Life is a book to which I wish I'd been introduced years ago.  In it, Joanna Weaver offers challenging and helpful advice for drawing me -- and women like me -- back to the core of those things that really matter in life. 

My husband has been a pastor for 17 years.  I work with developmentally challenged adults in a residential setting.  And when we married (just a year ago), I never realized all the ways in which our busy lives would impact our relationship and, more importantly, our spiritual lives.  We all have different lives with different choices, pressures, situations, challenges and opportunities.  But most of us -- or, maybe just me! -- feel overwhelmed by those choices and pressures, the situations and challenges.  

This is the book I needed to expose how so much of all that is my own doing. 

Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World is based on an exchange in John 11.  And in that short account of Jesus, Mary and Martha, Weaver teaches us so much. 

As I read this book, I learned so much about myself, my world and my marriage.  I learned that life with Jesus really is liberating.  And in that way, this book is Gospel to me and you.  

If you're feeling frazzled and your faith is running thin, you need this book. 

I received this book free, from the Blogging for Books program, in exchange for my honest review. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Review of "Home on the Range"

Ruther Logan Herne's Home on the Range is a novel about the Double S Ranch and Nick, who is raising his two daughters by himself.  I found the characters to be very realistic.  The setting is wonderful and I loved to read all the struggles of each person.  It makes it more realistic and easier to read and believe. Elsa is a wonderful character.  I love that her past is a secret until the end of the book -- which, itself, is very well written.  I was very pleased with this contemporary cowboy read. I received a free copy of this book as part of the Blogging for Books program in exchange for my honest review here.

My Review of "The Tea Planter's Wife"

Dinah Jefferies' The Tea Planter's Wife is a fun novel that vividly depicts the 1920s.  Gwendolyn Hooper, her 19-year-old heroine, speaks for an empire-branded breed of gutsy young British women who left the security of England to embark on extraordinary adventures abroad.  Not the back-packing, "lonely planet" travels of today, gap-year kids constantly connected with the folks back home via internet and smartphones, and usually safely and predictably back home for good inside a year.  Girls like Gwen married men who made their living and fortunes out in the colonies -- or what until very recently had been colonies -- and went out to join them, standing shoulder-to shoulder with their husbands to face down hardship, danger, disease, monsoon, drought, and not least the simmering and sometimes murderous resentment of locals. That makes The Tea Planter's Wife so much more than a love story -- it's a recognition that girls like Gwen had guts, and c...

The Illustrator's Notetaking Bible

The Illustrator's Notetaking Bible is an HCSB edition made for those that want to draw, paint, and color in their Journaling Bibles.  This one has over 600 lightly drawn illustrations that you can color or paint.  There's also lots of room to add your own artwork or notes as well.  The edition includes lined margin note areas that allow for neat notetaking. The paper itself feels like the standard 38gsm that's found in most journaling editions.  It's bonded leather over board and is available in several colors -- the one I read was simple British tan, so it's an ideal gift.  The biblical text is presented in a single column layout with 7.5-8 point font.  It also includes HCSB bullet notes, a reading plan, concordance, and maps. This Bible makes an ideal gift for the adult coloring folks. _________________ I received a free copy of this book from B&H Publishing in exchange for my honest review.