Skip to main content

Your Husband Does What?

It's often a conversation killer.  I'm at some social gathering of acquaintances or thrust into a social situation of some sort in which I know few people, if any.  A new workplace, especially.  We are making small talk.  It's the usual:  Do you have children?  Where are you from?  Are you married?  What does you spouse do?

When I utter the words, "My husband is a pastor," there is a moment of silence, then a quick "oh really?" as a comment.  Often I see the person scanning back through everything he or she said.  I know what they are doing.  They are trying to decide if they said something offensive, told an off-color joke, or uttered some sort of profanity.  It happens about eight times out of ten, that someone begins to apologize to me for something that he/she said before it was known that my husband is a pastor.  As if it should really make a difference.  When the apologies start, my standard line is usually, "You do know, I'm not the Holy Spirit, right?"

My husband tried to warn me.  He said it would happen when you marry a minister.  I just didn't realize how often it would happen. 

I've been known to use profanity.  And I trade in vulgar jokes sometimes.  I'm still a child at heart.  

So I know where my vulnerabilities are.  I also know when to be quiet, when not to talk because it might jeopardize him and his ministry.  This is a balancing act -- being a minister's wife.  But I'm me.  I haven't become some holy women because I'm married to a minister. 

And I hate it when people act as if I have.  When the find out I'm a minister's wife, so they change who they are instantly. 

I hate that. 

I know it's shocking!  After all, I am not wearing a jumper, I do wear make-up, and I am an educated, professional woman.  I just blew your stereotype.  And for the record, this pastor guy, with whom I share a house, a life, and a bed, is a pretty darn non-stereotypical human himself.  He loves hiking and being away fromcivilization, he lives for Doctor Who, and one of his favorite songs of all times is by Nirvana.  We're regular folk.  He and I still have disagreements, we both get in bad moods, we have forgotten to pay a bill or two on time.  He leaves the toilet seat up and I leave my shoes lying around.  We think ill of others sometimes and simply find some people annoying and disagreeable.  So don't feel like you have to be perfect around us, because the Lord knows (really) that we certainly aren't.  I would much rather have someone be genuine around me than to pretend to be someone they are not because they think it makes them look better.  I'm not an idiot -- I can nearly always see right through the veneer of perfection and pseudo-piety. 

Yes, I know how to cook, and I love to do it.  But not because I'm "a pastor's wife".  

Recently, someone was afraid of being too crass withme because she thought that, being a minister's wife, she would need to tone down.  She doesn't.  

No one does. 

Moral of the story?  It doesn't really matter what my husband's job is.  You wouldn't act differently is he was a physician or plumber or librarian or chef, so don't act differently because he's a pastor.  You are still you and I am still me.  We need to be authentic with one another to form real relationships.  And I'm not judging, nor do I have a super-special relationship with God that's different than what you or anyone else can have, if you choose to do so.  Let's just be real ... together. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Review of "The Prayer Wheel"

Patton Dodd, Jana Riess, and David van Biema's The Prayer Wheel:  A Daily Guide to Renewing Your Faith a Rediscovered Spiritual Practice brings a long-lost diagram that can be used to structure a 28-day discipline of prayer back into the practice of modern Christian spirituality.  The diagram was found in a 12th-century German book of gospels that emerged at a rare book dealer in Manhattan in 2015.  They begin with a cursory explanation of the wheel's origins but are primarily interested in reviving the use of the wheel to guide and enrich prayer by tying each day to a different thematic element of scripture. In concentric rings representing sections of the Bible and through seven "contemplative paths toward God" arranged like spokes through the rings he wheel uses Christianity's "big ideas" about the Lord's Prayer, the gifts of the Holy Spirit, events in the life of Christ, and the beatitudes to form a progression of prayer. The Praye

My Review of "The Tea Planter's Wife"

Dinah Jefferies' The Tea Planter's Wife is a fun novel that vividly depicts the 1920s.  Gwendolyn Hooper, her 19-year-old heroine, speaks for an empire-branded breed of gutsy young British women who left the security of England to embark on extraordinary adventures abroad.  Not the back-packing, "lonely planet" travels of today, gap-year kids constantly connected with the folks back home via internet and smartphones, and usually safely and predictably back home for good inside a year.  Girls like Gwen married men who made their living and fortunes out in the colonies -- or what until very recently had been colonies -- and went out to join them, standing shoulder-to shoulder with their husbands to face down hardship, danger, disease, monsoon, drought, and not least the simmering and sometimes murderous resentment of locals. That makes The Tea Planter's Wife so much more than a love story -- it's a recognition that girls like Gwen had guts, and c

My Review of "The Air I Breathe"

Louie Giglio's The Air I Breathe:  Worship as a Way of Life is a deceptively small book packed with insights.  Perhaps his most important, though, will also seem his simplest:  Everyone worships something or someone, because God has designed us all with the drive to worship.  We only have to study how we spend our time, energy, affection and money to discover the current object of our worship.  Thinking about worship in light of the book's simplest definition -- "our response to what we value most" -- is both eye-opening and thought-provoking. The Air I Breathe then proceeds to urge readers to devote their worship to God (the only One who's worthy of it) and to make worship a way of life rather than just something they do in church.  Giglio's beautiful writing -- which is full of simple, yet profound statements and fresh energy -- successfully motivates readers to ponder his points.  But as persuasive as his narrative is, it lacks sufficient