Skip to main content

My Review of the New York Times "Footsteps"

The New York Times Footsteps is a fun literary journey a collection of travel essays centered around the homes and haunts of literature "greats."  While the book started out interesting, I enjoyed learning about these literary figures and their places in the world.  After several chapters, though, the stories became more tedious as the writers became more and more obscure.

Ironically, it was the story of Mark Twain that was my favorite; a writer I vowed years ago to never read after discovering the horrid things he said about Jane Austen.  I feel there was a striking imbalance between writers who contributed positivity and decency to the world and those who prattled off drink and sex-fueled mumblings.  Overall, I was not super impressed with this collection.

I received a free copy of this book as part of the Blogging for Books program, in exchange for my honest review here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Review of "Roadfood"

Jane & Michael Stern's Roadfood gives us another (this is the 10th edition!) gastro road trip across the US.  Roadfood is like a road map through backroads and interstates for some of the best food in each state and region in the US.

Roadfood celebrates venues most travelers would never venture near, let alone enter.  Most of the state-by-state listed restaurants are, however, for dining on the cheap.  Like Litton's in Knoville, TN -- which really does have amazing burgers.

While one could hardly map a road trip by the Sterns' restaurant finds -- some cities, like Chicago, are overrepresented, while the rest of Illinois is all but ignored -- this fun and fanciful volume is pure pleasure.

I received a free copy of this book as part of the Blogging for Books program in exchange for my honest review here.

My Review of "Sinners in the Hands of a Loving God"

Brian Zahnd's Sinners in the Hands of a Loving God: The Scandalous Truth of the Very Good News is, in a word, breathtaking!

Zahnd is working toward a radical (getting-to-the-root) Christ-centered biblical hermeneutic.  I was soaking up every word of this beautifully written, entirely accessible, utterly practical theology book that combines rich faith with practical living. 

This really is a book of "Very Good News" and it points toward a sea-change that's happening among Christian evangelical preachers these days.  I won't give away too much, but by the time you get to the second chapter ("Closing the Book on Vengeance"), be prepared to read slowly.  I've dog-eared my copy at page 30 (once you read it, you'll find out why).

But Chapter 7 is my favorite.  Honestly, if all you did was buy this book and read that chapter, you'd have your money's worth.  I have honestly never read anything that so clearly and simply explained the right wa…

My Review of "When Faith Catches Fire"

Samuel Rodriguez and Robert Crosby's When Faith Catches Fire:  Embracing the Spiritual Passion of the Latino Reformation celebrates the so-called "salsafication" of the church and offers a glimpse into the future of the Western church's reformation in the leadership and faith of the growing Latino church.  We're all familiar with the census data that show the growing Latino presence in the US -- but most of us (well, at least me!) might be unfamiliar with the growing faith communities that are a part of that presence.  When Faith Catches Fire is an amazing book that explores those communities in all their depth and richness, and offers was the church might change in the Spirit to offer the passion of that faith to the wider culture.

I received a free copy of this book as part of the Blogging for Books program in exchange for my honest review here.